Skip to main content

My Christmas Story

I had always heard of Santa Claus and the image I had of Him was a stout fat man dressed in red carrying a sack of gifts and entering through the chimney. Well, since we didn't have any chimney, I always wondered where he'd come in through if he ever visited my house. A day before Christmas when I was quite younger, mom said to get ready, we'd be going to see Santa. In my little mind, the image I had was the one I expected we were going to see. I was so excited, I told everyone who cared to listen, everyone literally, I mean even the mallam on my street that I was going to see Santa. Whether they understood what I was saying or not, I was just too excited to care. Finally morning came, after a long night, longer than usual or not probably cause I was too excited to sleep well. It was actually a Christmas party and other kids were there as well. Eventually, we stood on the line waiting our turn to see Santa. From afar, he looked slimmer than usual, did he lose weight? I wondered. As I got closer, I found out he looked darker, was it cause of going down through different chimneys? I pondered. And when it was two kids away from my turn, I screamed. This was definitely not the real Santa, his beard had just fallen off! I was mortified. Mom kept asking what was wrong, I couldn't explain all I could do was point at him. I refused to go meet him, he was just too black to be true. But that didn't stop me from reaching out to collect the bagpack he stretched out to give me. I went home totally disappointed and more disappointed when I found out the next term that Santa was our maths teacher Uncle Segun. I didn't like maths so that made it all the worse. But at least I was grateful for the bag pack, I had shared its contents with my friend Bolu who didn't get anything for Christmas. It was a season for sharing right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a Young Dreamer Girl: PERHAPS

Just like this picture, we'd want our lives to be prim and proper. But fortunately it doesn't always turn out that way. Why fortunately? Well, perhaps, there's a possibility that we would sink into a routine, running around in circles, never going back but yet never moving forward. Perhaps, there would be no aspirations, no dreams, no hope, and what is a man without hope? Dead. Perhaps, we would then rest on our oars and pride in the fact that we made it happen all by ourselves. This is seemingly possible as man has always tried to play god, most times to his detriment. Maybe the problems, the challenges, the bills, come so that in the process of dealing with them we bump into our purpose, our reason for being created, our existence. Perhaps they come that we may realize the endless possibilities of faith, increasing by each victory. Perhaps, the untidiness of a partner or the unruliness of a family member would teach us to love even when we do not feel like it. Perh

My Faith Trials

It's been a long time since I was in the lair. I guess adulthood caught up with me as trying to juggle many other things made me put this aspect of my writing on hold. Now it feels so weird trying to put my thoughts together, well cause there are a lot of them, dancing in my head!  Well, a lot has happened to me as I know has happened to you as well. But never did I imagine my mom dying as part of the "a lot". It's been over three months now but on some days, I imagine I'm still dreaming. And all of a sudden the enormity of what happened hits me, sucking out my breath as I come to terms with reality. Asides from the pain and depression I've had to deal with, I think what has come the most under attack is my faith.  She had been ill for some months and we had prayed so earnestly for her recovery. Death was never a possible option in our minds. I confessed the word, I sowed seeds, I prayed morning and night, and I cried and pleaded with God not to take her away.

MY NYSC Chronicles (Part 1)

I wanted to document my experience as a youth corp member. My NYSC year was filled with a lot of twists and turns, with happy, sad, and really scary moments sandwiched within. The challenges I encountered and the experiences I had were just too unique for me not to document, so this would be the first of the series. Enjoy!  I went to the Federal University of Technology, Owerri where I studied Science Laboratory Technology. After my final project in November, I went back to Lagos to go and rest and eat my mommy's food. I used to be among those “first to finish" groups, so once I heard clearance had started, I rushed back to school. This was in April, and I wanted to be called up with Batch B, which was to go in July.  After all the wahala that comes with final year clearance in a federal school, I went for the final process that would qualify me for NYSC only to find out I didn't have a major document - my admission letter from JAMB. I actually did have the document but i