Skip to main content

UNVEILING

There was a time when I was always so afraid of not being accepted and that kept me in my prison for a long time. I couldn't write as I wanted to,couldn't speak as I wanted to,always trying to tone down the intensity of my words to suit the opinion of others. Always wanting to please at my own detriment, overworking myself to meet the deadline of those who wouldn't even bother to meet mine even if I gave them a thousand years. I'd give without restrictions and even get punished for it, I'd cry on my bunk at night so no one would hear. Someone would hurt me and i would try to justify their actions. I stutter a little and this brought about low self esteem, I missed out on a lot of opportunities in high school then cause the words always just happened to cease when they were needed most. After a while, I concluded everyone was out to get me so I raised the gates of my prison wall. No one was going to come in but I wasn't getting out either. Time after time I'd watched people I secretly admired make fun of me. I was that short, plump girl with fat legs who wore glasses and had freckles. So love was totally out of it for me, I just depended on my brains to give me some bit of significance, but guess what? Sometimes they failed me too. I remember taking one of my results home and getting the popular question, "The person that took first, how many heads does he have?", I had come second that term and it had seemed like a great achievement for me then but I guess it wasn't for my parents at all. I don't blame them at all, I know they were only looking out for me, being naija parents as typical of them and I love them very much. But it just seemed like i couldnt get anything right. Since my dad wanted a boy so much,I decided I'd be a tomboy on campus but of course life happened again and I had to sit at home for a year. For every mistake I made like breaking a plate asking for more food or sleeping too much, I had to be reminded that my mates were in school. My heart was breaking inside but no one could know.
I had my prison walls for protection so I thought. I prided myself in not crying for anyone or anything even when there were times when my heart was breaking inside and I was at the brink of tears. The goal was pretend till you become it.
Then like a thunderbolt taking me unawares, someone happened. I had served in the fellowship in secondary school but I had never really had a personal relationship. I knew there was a God up there somewhere and I had to obey and serve him cause hell wasn't exactly an exciting place to be in. Then I began to read things from the bible that I had never imagined, that God loved me no matter what, that I was good enough, that he'd be with me at all times even in my failures and mistakes, in my tears and uncertainties. I was amazed,how could I afford to say no. I don't know how my legs carried themselves up as I sat there in my moment of indecisiveness and the closer I got to the altar, the more convinced I was that it was the right thing to do.
And since then, my life has never remained the same. Now don't get me wrong, it hasn't been a roller coaster ride all the way but now I had someone and something I didn't have before, the G-factor. I'm not a perfect person wearing a white gown and floating on air...lol, but at least am not where i used to be. I can say no when necessary without feeling guilty, I've found strength in my tears. No one can ever make me feel less than I am. Hello?! I'm so precious somebody had to die for me. Ain't waiting for nobody from nowhere to come and make me feel loved, I am loved already! I just can't keep my mouth shut, stuttering or no stuttering cause my prison walls have been broken!
A lot of people like I was have tried to find their worth from mundane things that can never satisfy. Some derive their worth from the clothes they were, their financial status, friends or cliques, achievements and so on but these things eventually fade. There is someone that never fades, a cup that never runs dry as one of my favorite songs put it, and he's calling out for you to come drink and get your fill.
Whenever I start to feel inadequate or begin to wonder why a part of my body is this way or that way, I have a close friend who always tells me, "Judith, God made you in the best way you could ever be" And that's the truth. Funny how am now looking for that weight I so much wanted to shed back then. I even want my fairness campus sun took away from me back even if its with the freckles. I've come to understand that life is in phases, things will not always be the way they are. Learn from them and move on.
Try to reach out to others, that girl you're condemning for being a slay queen, the one you think is pompous or snobbish, you don't know her story. That guy they always make jest of in class, church or even at your workplace, you don't know what damage its causing him. Don't cause more problems for someone, be a solution instead. Never look down on anyone, don't humiliate just because its in your power to do so at that moment. You'd be so amazed at how quickly the tables turn.
Always remember, your best is yet to come.
Yours truthfully,
Kikioma
Daughter of a King

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a Young Dreamer Girl: PERHAPS

Just like this picture, we'd want our lives to be prim and proper. But fortunately it doesn't always turn out that way. Why fortunately? Well, perhaps, there's a possibility that we would sink into a routine, running around in circles, never going back but yet never moving forward. Perhaps, there would be no aspirations, no dreams, no hope, and what is a man without hope? Dead. Perhaps, we would then rest on our oars and pride in the fact that we made it happen all by ourselves. This is seemingly possible as man has always tried to play god, most times to his detriment. Maybe the problems, the challenges, the bills, come so that in the process of dealing with them we bump into our purpose, our reason for being created, our existence. Perhaps they come that we may realize the endless possibilities of faith, increasing by each victory. Perhaps, the untidiness of a partner or the unruliness of a family member would teach us to love even when we do not feel like it. Perh

DEAR FUTURE HUSBAND

Dear future husband, I've been awake trying to imagine what it'd be like to live with one person for the rest of my life. I don't know if I've met you already, I just wonder if you also think about living with me. I watched The Wedding Party for the third time today and it gives me the same feeling each time. I definitely want to have a dream wedding, which girl doesn't? So I beg you please be responsible. I really hope you're doing something tangible with your life cause am trying my best here. The only thing that scared me in that movie was Broda Banky still asking how he could stick to one person for the rest of his life on the morning of his wedding. Pls I'm begging you in the name of God, figure that out before you even engage me. I cannot come and be crying and be running up and down on heels for that matter. But then am also learning it's more than just having a dream wedding but having a happily ever after marriage. I believe it exists but we b

Welcome to Naija

Growing up in naija gave me a lot of experiences I know I couldn't have probably gotten anywhere else. There were some quite funny ones though and I thought to share some that I remember  with you. Reminiscing on some of them can actually help you have a good laugh. My mom told me just recently that I ate raw pepper when I was about a year and 6months and it got me running round the house with my mouth wide open and I didn't cry o...you can imagine the sight.😅 So,here we go! ◆Welcome to naija, where once rain starts falling, power supply is cut off and if you see the light immediately the rain stops, glory be to God cause just like a friend said they have to dry their wire😂 ◆Welcome to naija, where as an adolescent girl, your mom would tell you not to go close to a boy else you'd get pregnant. Hmm...see me running from boys then. Still wondering how I fell for that.😕 ◆Welcome to naija, where your parents would only realize how dumb you are when your intelligent frien