Skip to main content

Shine Your Light






“Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:14 -16


This is definitely one of my favorite scriptures but unfortunately, I don't think I have lived up to it that much. You know how they say "some things are easier said than done"? That is probably the case with the Matthew 5:14 scripture for me and many other people too. Working through doubts, fear of failure, and self-esteem to shine your light whether literally or figuratively could be quite hard. 


Earlier during the month, I was having a conversation with one of my superiors at the office and one thing she said that kept ringing in my head is, "A lot of people don't know a lot of things". "You could be busy doubting yourself while other people who do not know as much as you do are even making money with their gifts and skills", she continued. Although I already knew some of these truths, it felt like a light bulb moment for me. 


It felt like an inner voice was saying to me, "Look at you, with all the gifts and talents doubting yourself while people who are probably not as gifted as you are showing the world what they can do." 


Maybe you're just like me. You know that you have gifting you can share with the world, for me, it's writing. But for some reason, you are afraid of people rejecting your art or what you have to offer. For budding writers, I think one of the greatest challenges we face is believing that people would actually want to read what we write. But then, you could never know unless you try right? One can never know for sure how it will turn out. 


I expressed something related to this in an article I wrote some years back. Life is just a couple of perhaps and maybes that we try our best to control and turn in our favor. But at the end of the day, you never really know. You just have to push past the uncertainties and try anyways. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work out, but what if it does work? We often don't ask ourselves that question as well. 


So please, do not deprive the world of the beauty of experiencing the uniqueness of talent. Just because you have other people doing the same thing does not mean that they do it like you. There is always something different, something specific that would appeal to a certain group of people. You do not have to copy anyone. Be you. Be original. 


Regardless of the circumstances surrounding your birth, you are not an accident. You did not just pop up on God and say, "Hey, urrrm I'm on my way to earth, if you could just find a use for me, I'll be glad..." God thought about you. Isn't that amazing?! He looked into the earth and saw that there was a need, a certain group of people who were yearning for something. He put that 'something' in you and sent you down here to fulfill the purpose for which he created you, for which he carved every unique feature of your body and mind. Yep! My big cute nose was intentional, you can't tell me nothing! 


When you give in to your doubts, you're telling your Creator that he probably didn't do a good enough job when forming you. And sincerely, how dare you?!


Just kidding 😁


You have to let the world feel your impact. I'm not saying you have to be an Einstein, Beyonce, or a Christiano Ronaldo. But wherever you find yourself, bless the world with your gift and skills. Be so good at what you do that you become an inspiration to those within your sphere of influence, that you cause them to want to shine their own lights too. That way our world is lit up and oh how wonderful that would be! 



And just like a fairy godmother I bring you great tidings...you have been given the permission to bless the world with your gifts. 


Shine, human, shine!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a Young Dreamer Girl: PERHAPS

Just like this picture, we'd want our lives to be prim and proper. But fortunately it doesn't always turn out that way. Why fortunately? Well, perhaps, there's a possibility that we would sink into a routine, running around in circles, never going back but yet never moving forward. Perhaps, there would be no aspirations, no dreams, no hope, and what is a man without hope? Dead. Perhaps, we would then rest on our oars and pride in the fact that we made it happen all by ourselves. This is seemingly possible as man has always tried to play god, most times to his detriment. Maybe the problems, the challenges, the bills, come so that in the process of dealing with them we bump into our purpose, our reason for being created, our existence. Perhaps they come that we may realize the endless possibilities of faith, increasing by each victory. Perhaps, the untidiness of a partner or the unruliness of a family member would teach us to love even when we do not feel like it. Perh

DEAR FUTURE HUSBAND

Dear future husband, I've been awake trying to imagine what it'd be like to live with one person for the rest of my life. I don't know if I've met you already, I just wonder if you also think about living with me. I watched The Wedding Party for the third time today and it gives me the same feeling each time. I definitely want to have a dream wedding, which girl doesn't? So I beg you please be responsible. I really hope you're doing something tangible with your life cause am trying my best here. The only thing that scared me in that movie was Broda Banky still asking how he could stick to one person for the rest of his life on the morning of his wedding. Pls I'm begging you in the name of God, figure that out before you even engage me. I cannot come and be crying and be running up and down on heels for that matter. But then am also learning it's more than just having a dream wedding but having a happily ever after marriage. I believe it exists but we b

Welcome to Naija

Growing up in naija gave me a lot of experiences I know I couldn't have probably gotten anywhere else. There were some quite funny ones though and I thought to share some that I remember  with you. Reminiscing on some of them can actually help you have a good laugh. My mom told me just recently that I ate raw pepper when I was about a year and 6months and it got me running round the house with my mouth wide open and I didn't cry o...you can imagine the sight.πŸ˜… So,here we go! ◆Welcome to naija, where once rain starts falling, power supply is cut off and if you see the light immediately the rain stops, glory be to God cause just like a friend said they have to dry their wireπŸ˜‚ ◆Welcome to naija, where as an adolescent girl, your mom would tell you not to go close to a boy else you'd get pregnant. Hmm...see me running from boys then. Still wondering how I fell for that.πŸ˜• ◆Welcome to naija, where your parents would only realize how dumb you are when your intelligent frien