Skip to main content

My NYSC Chronicles 2 - The Journey to Camp




Kebbi state! 


I was posted to Kebbi state, as in the last state in the northwestern part of Nigeria! I know I was a drama queen but I never imagined I would be queen of the north someday. All the excitement I had built about NYSC and camp life quickly vanished. Hot premium tears filled my eyes and began running down my face as  I called my parents. They didn't even know how to react, my dad said to look on the brighter side, at least I was born there. but then, how was that even supposed to make me feel better? I had prayed so earnestly for months about my posting and now this? I was so disappointed, to say the least. 


The next day, I began trying to make contact with other prospective corps members that had been posted to the north via Telegram. At this point, I just have to say, thank God for social media because what would I have done? I eventually joined a group of people in Southeastern Nigeria who had been posted to Kebbi. I was able to link up with about three other people who would be leaving on the same day I planned to leave. The group was really helpful as I even got a list of things to buy, except, there was really no money on ground. I had told my parents to worry about my transportation while I sorted out other things but where would I see the money? I prayed and began making some calls and thankfully God came through for me. I was able to raise up a substantial sum through some friends and relatives and off I went to Douglass market in Owerri. 


Next, I began planning how I would move to camp as we were only given a few days to prepare, a greater part of which had been spent trying to get all the documents needed ready. I was told there would be no direct bus to the north from Owerri and would have to go to Onitsha first. I had only passed by Onitsha when returning from Lagos and I had also heard horrific tales about it. I wondered how I would lull my bag around to locate the correct bus park. The camp was due to open on Tuesday, so early Monday morning, I hit the road. I had initially planned to leave on Sunday, but I had to attend a send-forth ceremony of my very good friends, it was exactly what I needed to get ready psychologically for the trip. I would eventually visit my pastor later in the evening, that was how afraid I was. 







I contacted my friend from Telegram, Stephen who was coming from Asaba, and we agreed to meet at Onitsha and board a bus together. I left for Onitsha in the early hours of Monday. After much trouble dragging my bag with the park boys who were trying to convince me to enter their bus, I found Stephen. I was so relieved!


The bus parks were filled with prospective corps members travelling to their respective states of deployment. We eventually settled for FG Onyewe bus line, its final stop would be at Sokoto, from where we would take a bus to the NYSC camp in Kebbi. It wasn't even 10 am and I was already stressed. We paid for our seats and then the wait began. We were told the bus would leave by 12pm. Story story. 


We eventually left by 4 pm and I was so unsettled. To crown it all, the people who had paid for standing seemed to be even more than those sitting. The bus was almost jampacked and I wondered if this was what I would face for the next 24 hours. I had been told it would be a day's journey. Again, story story.


Shortly after the bus moved, I dozed off, my window seat was serving me well, and sleeping while in motion was actually my best part of travelling. Besides, the scent that saturated the bus was a mixture of sweat, different perfumes, and other things I can’t even describe. With my face to the window, inhaling the cool breeze as we moved, I fired on my sleep. We would stop at different intervals to pick up more people to my utmost surprise and I would doze off again enjoying my sweet sleep, until someone tapped me. It was Stephen. "wake up", he whispered. I opened my eyes and looked around. It was almost 9 pm, the bus wasn't moving and it seemed like we were in the middle of nowhere. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a Young Dreamer Girl: PERHAPS

Just like this picture, we'd want our lives to be prim and proper. But fortunately it doesn't always turn out that way. Why fortunately? Well, perhaps, there's a possibility that we would sink into a routine, running around in circles, never going back but yet never moving forward. Perhaps, there would be no aspirations, no dreams, no hope, and what is a man without hope? Dead. Perhaps, we would then rest on our oars and pride in the fact that we made it happen all by ourselves. This is seemingly possible as man has always tried to play god, most times to his detriment. Maybe the problems, the challenges, the bills, come so that in the process of dealing with them we bump into our purpose, our reason for being created, our existence. Perhaps they come that we may realize the endless possibilities of faith, increasing by each victory. Perhaps, the untidiness of a partner or the unruliness of a family member would teach us to love even when we do not feel like it. Perh

DEAR FUTURE HUSBAND

Dear future husband, I've been awake trying to imagine what it'd be like to live with one person for the rest of my life. I don't know if I've met you already, I just wonder if you also think about living with me. I watched The Wedding Party for the third time today and it gives me the same feeling each time. I definitely want to have a dream wedding, which girl doesn't? So I beg you please be responsible. I really hope you're doing something tangible with your life cause am trying my best here. The only thing that scared me in that movie was Broda Banky still asking how he could stick to one person for the rest of his life on the morning of his wedding. Pls I'm begging you in the name of God, figure that out before you even engage me. I cannot come and be crying and be running up and down on heels for that matter. But then am also learning it's more than just having a dream wedding but having a happily ever after marriage. I believe it exists but we b

Welcome to Naija

Growing up in naija gave me a lot of experiences I know I couldn't have probably gotten anywhere else. There were some quite funny ones though and I thought to share some that I remember  with you. Reminiscing on some of them can actually help you have a good laugh. My mom told me just recently that I ate raw pepper when I was about a year and 6months and it got me running round the house with my mouth wide open and I didn't cry o...you can imagine the sight.πŸ˜… So,here we go! ◆Welcome to naija, where once rain starts falling, power supply is cut off and if you see the light immediately the rain stops, glory be to God cause just like a friend said they have to dry their wireπŸ˜‚ ◆Welcome to naija, where as an adolescent girl, your mom would tell you not to go close to a boy else you'd get pregnant. Hmm...see me running from boys then. Still wondering how I fell for that.πŸ˜• ◆Welcome to naija, where your parents would only realize how dumb you are when your intelligent frien