Skip to main content

THE DANGER OF SETTLING

You and I, dear reader would both agree that a lot has happened in our lives already this year and we're just about getting done with the first half of it. I for one haven't been exactly reaching the marks I set for myself this year and it gets so frustrating when I look at how much is yet to be done that I want to just throw 'it' all away and just settle for whatever happens. The case might be the same for some of y'all.
If you do not happen to belong to this category, well, congratulations! But I'd also have you know that there is always a better way to doing stuff and living life, just so you don't settle for whatever wonderful position you might find yourself in at the moment.
So, first things first, what does it actually mean to 'Settle'?
The meaning of the word varies over a wide range of definitions but in the context of this article it means, "To become fixed or permanent; to become stationary; to establish one's self or itself; to assume a lasting form, condition, direction, or the like, in place of a temporary or changing state.", just so we're clear of the kind of 'settle' we're actually talking about.
At the beginning of the year, a lot of us probably made resolutions, plans, set goals and did a whole lot of restructuring so that we could make the most of the year. For some of us, our plans have yielded good and satisfiable results, for some of us also on the other hand, things haven't as much as turned out as we planned. Most of us are then out of frustration throwing in the towel seeing it's already mid year and settling for whatever the rest of the year has to offer. While also considering those for whom the sun has been shining ever so brightly that have decided to bask in the rays while forgetting that there's a rainy season ahead. We might have chosen to settle for less and this decision whether taken unconsciously or deliberately is exactly what sets apart the champions from the winners and the winners from the quitters.
What most of us don't know is that settling is as good as giving up because a person who thinks he or she has reached his peak starts to retrogress. Life is progressive, change is the only constant thing, we must keep moving against all odds!
Settling just because you feel you've achieved quite a lot or next to nothing is like canceling a journey just because you've run out of fuel.
We are in a constant state of facing one challenge or the other, this is what life is all about. And as we overcome those challenges we improve ourselves and our standards of living and the cycle goes on and on. Its puzzling to know that some of the time, we're almost already at the peak of our breakthrough when we decide to call it quits, pack our bags, hold our horses and settle, for less usually.
Just because everything you planned out has not happened in your timing doesn't mean they're not going to happen after all. "But Kiki it's midyear already!" I know but a lot can happen in one day you know...Joseph the biblical character had his life transformed overnight. One night he was sleeping in a prison next night he was in the palace!
Our christian life was also designed to be progressive, moving from one degree to another, growing in depth of the knowledge of God. The moment you start to think you know all you need to know about God, you enter a state of familiarity and complacency. This gradually gives room for lukewarmness as your fire begins to fizzle out.
One prayer that struck me while reading a book was, "Lord, don't take me to where you can't reach me!", before like some of my friends would say "He'll just close your heaven!"
See, in all ramifications of life, settling on past achievements and dwelling on past failures will truncate God's original purpose for our lives. Just like He said in his word in the 18th and 19th verse of the 43rd chapter of the Prophet Isaiah, "Remember he not the former things, neither consider the things of the old. Behold I do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it...?"
God is always doing a new thing but we're always so caught up in either our past victories or defeats that we do not see Him breaking boundaries and moving mountains for our sakes. It's time to open our eyes to new possibilities, to what the rest of the year has to offer us.
It's not the time to SETTLE DOWN but the time to MOVE FORWARD.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a Young Dreamer Girl: PERHAPS

Just like this picture, we'd want our lives to be prim and proper. But fortunately it doesn't always turn out that way. Why fortunately? Well, perhaps, there's a possibility that we would sink into a routine, running around in circles, never going back but yet never moving forward. Perhaps, there would be no aspirations, no dreams, no hope, and what is a man without hope? Dead. Perhaps, we would then rest on our oars and pride in the fact that we made it happen all by ourselves. This is seemingly possible as man has always tried to play god, most times to his detriment. Maybe the problems, the challenges, the bills, come so that in the process of dealing with them we bump into our purpose, our reason for being created, our existence. Perhaps they come that we may realize the endless possibilities of faith, increasing by each victory. Perhaps, the untidiness of a partner or the unruliness of a family member would teach us to love even when we do not feel like it. Perh

DEAR FUTURE HUSBAND

Dear future husband, I've been awake trying to imagine what it'd be like to live with one person for the rest of my life. I don't know if I've met you already, I just wonder if you also think about living with me. I watched The Wedding Party for the third time today and it gives me the same feeling each time. I definitely want to have a dream wedding, which girl doesn't? So I beg you please be responsible. I really hope you're doing something tangible with your life cause am trying my best here. The only thing that scared me in that movie was Broda Banky still asking how he could stick to one person for the rest of his life on the morning of his wedding. Pls I'm begging you in the name of God, figure that out before you even engage me. I cannot come and be crying and be running up and down on heels for that matter. But then am also learning it's more than just having a dream wedding but having a happily ever after marriage. I believe it exists but we b

Welcome to Naija

Growing up in naija gave me a lot of experiences I know I couldn't have probably gotten anywhere else. There were some quite funny ones though and I thought to share some that I remember  with you. Reminiscing on some of them can actually help you have a good laugh. My mom told me just recently that I ate raw pepper when I was about a year and 6months and it got me running round the house with my mouth wide open and I didn't cry o...you can imagine the sight.πŸ˜… So,here we go! ◆Welcome to naija, where once rain starts falling, power supply is cut off and if you see the light immediately the rain stops, glory be to God cause just like a friend said they have to dry their wireπŸ˜‚ ◆Welcome to naija, where as an adolescent girl, your mom would tell you not to go close to a boy else you'd get pregnant. Hmm...see me running from boys then. Still wondering how I fell for that.πŸ˜• ◆Welcome to naija, where your parents would only realize how dumb you are when your intelligent frien