Skip to main content

SQUAD OR GANG?

Everyone likes to have a sense of belonging, family and friends play a major role in feeling this void and are also part of the sum total of what makes up a man. This is why most times the way a person turns out can be traced back to the family he came from, his friends and his environment.
The saying "Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are" can rarely be faulted.
In this context, I'd like to somewhat classify kinds of friends into two categories, The SQUAD or The GANG.
Almost everyone {except a few lone rangers} tends to have a closely knit group of friends who they spend the time with and listen to the most. The issue is a lot of people do not know the effect of the kind of friends they keep and many have had to pay dearly for this ignorance. Knowing how to identify the friends who constantly subtract and divide you and making the necessary changes is very important. You do not have the power to chose your family but you have the power to chose your friends. Its your life and future at stake here so putting sentiments aside is very important. Do not also forget that not everybody is supposed to be a close friend, just as not everyone is granted access into the Holy of Holies except those who come by the only true way, Jesus. In setting these boundaries you save yourself from unnecessary drama, disappointments and betrayals.
♦If you have friends that constantly encourage you to follow your dreams and to achieve your goals, you have a squad alright. But when your friends tell you to take it easy and enjoy, no need to be to serious about work, you just might be in a gang.
♦If your friends are able to tell you the truth to your face even when it hurts, this means they care about you enough to not let you go the wrong way, you're fortunately in a squad. But when they try to justify your actions just to make you feel good, a gang it is then.
♦When all they do is take and take and take but never give, chances are you're in a gang. But when you have people who go out of their way to give to you, even when they don't have enough, they're willing to make sacrifices for you, then you have yourself a squad.
♦When your friends do not have any goal or life vision but just go the tides, you're probably in a gang. But when their visions or goals challenge you to do more, then you're in a squad.
♦When all they do is engage in jeering or foolish talk when you guys hang out, then you have yourself a gang. But when they talk to the king in you, and enlighten you so much that when you guys are set to leave, there's a resolve to do more, then my friend you have a squad.
♦When they paint you an ugly picture of yourself, always talking you down and daring you to do stupid things, then you're definitely in a gang. But friends who paint a beautiful picture of you, and are not hesitant in admiring your qualities verbally, make up a squad.
♦When they are not intimidated by your success but join to celebrate you, you're in a squad. But when they try to belittle your achievement just so you don't begin to feel 'too important' they claim, that my friend is a gang.
♦When they're value and virtue based, they do not see morals as old fashioned, then you have a squad. You can to a large extent be rest assured of not being betrayed. But when you have friends who have no inkling of what morals are and tell you it doesn't matter, hmmm, it wouldn't matter too if they were asked to bring your head on a platter for money, that is a gang.
The comparisons are listless but this is just to give you an idea of the kind of people you might've surrounded yourself with. Friends are very important, no man is an island but keeping the right ones are very necessary in as much you also try to be a person of value to those around you cause chances are you attracted them by being just like them.
So go back to drawing board and have yourself some self appraisal. Which do you belong to? SQUAD or GANG?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings of a Young Dreamer Girl: PERHAPS

Just like this picture, we'd want our lives to be prim and proper. But fortunately it doesn't always turn out that way. Why fortunately? Well, perhaps, there's a possibility that we would sink into a routine, running around in circles, never going back but yet never moving forward. Perhaps, there would be no aspirations, no dreams, no hope, and what is a man without hope? Dead. Perhaps, we would then rest on our oars and pride in the fact that we made it happen all by ourselves. This is seemingly possible as man has always tried to play god, most times to his detriment. Maybe the problems, the challenges, the bills, come so that in the process of dealing with them we bump into our purpose, our reason for being created, our existence. Perhaps they come that we may realize the endless possibilities of faith, increasing by each victory. Perhaps, the untidiness of a partner or the unruliness of a family member would teach us to love even when we do not feel like it. Perh

DEAR FUTURE HUSBAND

Dear future husband, I've been awake trying to imagine what it'd be like to live with one person for the rest of my life. I don't know if I've met you already, I just wonder if you also think about living with me. I watched The Wedding Party for the third time today and it gives me the same feeling each time. I definitely want to have a dream wedding, which girl doesn't? So I beg you please be responsible. I really hope you're doing something tangible with your life cause am trying my best here. The only thing that scared me in that movie was Broda Banky still asking how he could stick to one person for the rest of his life on the morning of his wedding. Pls I'm begging you in the name of God, figure that out before you even engage me. I cannot come and be crying and be running up and down on heels for that matter. But then am also learning it's more than just having a dream wedding but having a happily ever after marriage. I believe it exists but we b

Welcome to Naija

Growing up in naija gave me a lot of experiences I know I couldn't have probably gotten anywhere else. There were some quite funny ones though and I thought to share some that I remember  with you. Reminiscing on some of them can actually help you have a good laugh. My mom told me just recently that I ate raw pepper when I was about a year and 6months and it got me running round the house with my mouth wide open and I didn't cry o...you can imagine the sight.πŸ˜… So,here we go! ◆Welcome to naija, where once rain starts falling, power supply is cut off and if you see the light immediately the rain stops, glory be to God cause just like a friend said they have to dry their wireπŸ˜‚ ◆Welcome to naija, where as an adolescent girl, your mom would tell you not to go close to a boy else you'd get pregnant. Hmm...see me running from boys then. Still wondering how I fell for that.πŸ˜• ◆Welcome to naija, where your parents would only realize how dumb you are when your intelligent frien